Apprentice and Lead Designer
We're currently looking for a design apprentice, with the goal of them becoming a lead designer. The position is currently part time, with the opportunity for it to become full time as the designer grows with the company. Spring season is from April through June, Fall season is September through November, with a few summer and winter weddings. The designer will be trained during the spring season and will begin taking the lead on weddings in the fall.
The designer will closely shadow all floral design work, learning the skills necessary to work as a lead designer on our team. Floral design experience is ideal, but we are open to other creative-minded applicants that are able to demonstrate their eye for design and ability to pick up techniques quickly. For any applicants with previous floral design experience, we’ll be looking for your ability to design (or to learn to design) in a way that is true to our style.
We are looking for someone who is reliable, responsible, kind, friendly, and a team player. We are looking for someone who wants to grow into the position as a more permanent member of the team. We are looking for someone who is passionate about floral design, weddings, and love.
- part time position, paid at an hourly rate
- hourly rate determined based on skill level with the potential for raises as experience is gained
- the majority of the work will be performed on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays
- hours will vary and some days will require late night work to breakdown weddings
- Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday work will be in our studio in Fairfax Station VA
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday weddings take place throughout the DMV
- reliable transportation is required
- the job can be physically taxing - must be able to lift at least 50 lbs, work on your feet for extended periods of time, climb and work from ladders, and be willing to get your hands dirty
Duties will include:
- learning design techniques required to perform wedding work - bouquets, centerpieces, installations, etc
- prepping hard goods for wedding days - prepping containers, pulling inventory, etc.
- assist in processing flowers
- loading and unloading vehicles
- on-site design work and the occasional late night breakdown
- picking up flowers from local farms
- begin shadowing backend work, including flower recipe writing, consultation meetings, etc.
Long-term duties for the fall season:
- lead designer on-site at weddings - manage load out, setup, and breakdown of weddings
- month-of point of contact for any weddings you are the lead on
- learn flower recipe and proposal writing
- participate and take on consultations
How to apply:
Send us an email at email@example.com telling us why you'd be a great fit for our team. If you have a floral resume, great! We'd love to see it. If you have designed in the past, please send samples of your work. If you're new to floral design, please tell us what you think makes you the right person for job.
Applications must be received by February 15, 2024.
Looking for an internship instead? Click here!